August typically has been the time when we need to quickly implement any MS-1 Report changes mandated by DRA and then distribute the software update in time for you to submit your MS-1 by September 1st. This year (mercifully) there is only one minor change we need to make and it only affects a tiny percentage of you. Here’s what you need to know, and the impact it will have on when you can begin submitting your 2018 MS-1 to DRA:
- There is no change to the XML file format or the procedure by which you export, upload, and submit the MS-1 data from your Avitar Assessing system to DRA.
- There is a minor change we need to make to the preview report which allows you review your MS-1 on good old-fashioned paper before you submit the XML file to DRA.
- However, this minor change to the preview report only affects those of you who maintain Tax Increment Financing (TIF) districts in your assessing system.
- If you have no idea what TIFs are or you do not have any… congratulations! First, and perhaps most importantly, it means you don’t have the added headaches associated with maintaining them. Second, it means, whenever you are ready, you can go ahead and submit your MS-1 Report with the Avitar Assessing version you have now — you do not need a software update. Later in September, we will be distributing an update to everyone with a bunch of other new features, but you don’t need to do anything now.
- If you do have TIFs… then you will need to contact us to receive an interim software update before you produce and submit your final 2018 MS-1. This update will just include a minor change to Lines 21 and 23 of the preview report to accurately reflect your Net Valuation adjusted to remove your TIF Retained Value. The DRA is making a similar change on their end so the XML file does not need to change, but in order for the report you print to agree with the adjustments DRA is making you will need this update. It should be available for distribution by August 17th.
- Please note, we are not talking here about separate taxable village precincts or districts for which you may nonetheless submit an additional MS-1 — these are fine with the current MS-1 version. This change only affects TIFs, for which you are maintaining an original value for the included parcels and you need to report the amounts of retained, unretained, etc. since the TIF was adopted.
Let us know if you have any questions or if you’re one of the unfortunate few who need to submit TIF information on your MS-1. And the rest of you can expect to hear from us again later in September with details about the next full update.